Joining as a member of the SSU will land you heaps of great benefits including:
1. The obvious one: Free Stuff!
We offer all of our members loads of free services all year round including:
- 20 pages of free printing every day
- Free breakfast every morning from 8-10:30 am
- Free drinks every night of o-week
- Free entry to all union parties run by the Union
- Free food every Wednesday of semester at our weekly BBQ
- Free 2017 Student Diary and student magazine – the SWINE
2. The not quite Free Stuff!
We also have a heap of discounts on offer for all our members all year round including:
- The cheapest printing on campus even if you use more than your free 20 pages
- A huge range of discounts from our partners on clothes, uni supplies and more
- $10 Jugs of all beer and cider at the Hammer & Swine at all times
- Discounts on all SSU Merchandise including SSU Tee’s and Hoodies
3. A more sociable and enjoyable university environment.
Uni is about more than just a piece of paper. On top of the hours of lectures and late night study binges, you’re here to meet new friends, make important networking connections, and having time out to enjoy yourself and try new things. If any of the above interest you – the SSU have you covered!
We run a huge volunteering program all year long, with the opportunity to get involved with the SSU on campus, or our NFP partners off campus. Our Education Department run networking nights and faculty specific skills days, as well as some less relevant, but none the less educating workshops on loads of great skill you’ll be sure to find useful down the track. And our Activities Department run loads of great parties, bar nights, and on campus events. We also produce Swinburne’s only 100% student run magazine – the SWINE.
4. We fight for your rights (to party).
Our student representative team represent you and your rights at Uni, at home and in the workplace, from lobbying the University for a more quality education experience, to fighting for a fair welfare system at a national level and everything in between.
We meet regularly with the University and ensure student representation on all University Boards and Committees. In recent years we have campaigned to have eduroam – yes free wifi! – available to all students, not just staff; to keep TAFE open and oppose funding cuts; and to extend the Hammer & Swine’s opening hours from one, to five days a week, due in semester two – so you can party all week long!
This year we are joining the National Union of Students in campaigning for a more fair Centrelink system, and to increase lecture recording in all courses here at Swinburne.