General Technology Tips
- Try to minimise the number of devices using your Internet connection at any one time, especially in peak time periods
- Ensure devices that are connected to the Internet are switched ‘OFF’ overnight to eliminate unnecessary downloading of data
- Keep your modem/router in a central location in the home, ideally close to where you’re working from. Wi-Fi Routers work best with a clear line of sight, ideally 1.5 to 2 metres off the ground. If they are housed in a cupboard, under a desk, or at the other end of your house this will reduce the speed you receive
- Try and keep your Wi-Fi modem away from common Wi-Fi blockers including TVs and other digital devices, doorbell receivers, microwave ovens, fridges, fish tanks, mirrors, brick walls and doors.
- Once a week, turn your modem off and back on. Modem/routers are, essentially, tiny computers which sometimes need a reboot to get things working smoothly again. Ideally you should unplug it from power, wait 30 seconds and then plug it back in
- Download PDF copies of key resources, where possible, to reduce the demand on your Internet service
- Take particular care of your device – do not consume food or drink near it. Be mindful of where the device (charger) is plugged in. Watch out for any tripping hazards
- Students should ensure their device is up to date, installing any available updates where possible
- Students should back up their work regularly
- Students should make sure there is enough storage space on their device by removing any unnecessary files (such as Games, Movies, Music, lol!)
Please note that this information about Home Internet and Data Support is correct as at 3 April 2020. Please check each carrier’s website for further and up-to-date information, including any changes made to their policies regarding the COVID-19 pandemic.
Until 30 April 2020, Telstra are providing unlimited data for all personal and small business customers with home broadband plans (ADSL, NBN and Cable). Data will be automatically provided to you, at no extra charge. No action is required.
Mobile services on a plan (including Post-Paid personal and small business mobiles) and Mobile Broadband services
Customers can register for 25GB of extra data to use in Australia within 30 days if they register via the Telstra 24×7 or My Telstra apps.
Customers with an active recharge of $40 or more can register for 10GB of extra data to use in Australia via the Telstra 24×7 or My Telstra apps.
More information is available at www.telstra.com.au/covid19/supporting-you-during-covid19
For the months of April and May, Optus are providing Home Broadband Customers with an unlimited data allowance (not available for 4G or 5G Broadband services). Data will be automatically provided to you, at no extra charge. No action is required.
Post-Paid mobile customers are eligible for a one-off add on of 20GB bonus data per service which can be activated through the My Optus app. The data is valid for 30 days from activation.
Prepaid mobile customers will receive a bonus 10GB additional data when they recharge $40 or more during the month of April 2020.
Late payment fees, disconnections, and credit collection activities will be waived until April 30th.
At the time of writing this letter, Optus have announced that they will be waiving their Post-Paid Mobile Access fees for Registered Healthcare workers for three months. They will release more information about specific eligibility criteria, and the application process, shortly.
More information is available atcwww.optus.com.au/about/media-centre/coronavirus-support
Vodafone is providing a one-off 10GB bonus data allowance for prepaid mobile customers. The offer will be sent to these customers via an opt-in SMS from 31/03/20, with customers required to opt-in by texting the word ‘BOOST’ to 1263. Data will be applied within 72 hours. Data for use in Australia only and expires 30 days from receiving. You must redeem by 30/04/20. Customers who recharge their prepaid service before 30/4/2020 will also receive a bonus 3GB data.
Post-Paid Mobile (customers who are not on an unlimited data plan)
Post-Paid mobile customers will receive an additional 5GB of data. That data will be added to all plans by 27/03/20, and can be used over the next month. Customers won’t need to do anything to activate this bonus data.
All Customers – unlimited Standard National Calls
Have unlimited standard national calls until the end of April.
To ensure unrestricted access to essential health information, accessing Federal Government Department of Health and State and Territory Health Department websites won’t contribute to the data usage of customers on the Vodafone network. Vodafone is not charging any late payment fees, suspending services or chasing debt collection for overdue accounts. This will continue from 26 March until at least 30 April 2020.
At the time of writing this letter, Vodafone have announced that they will be waiving their Monthly Access fees for Registered Healthcare workers for two months. Pre-Paid customers will receive two times the value of their current Pre- Paid recharge. Vodafone will release more information about specific eligibility criteria, and the application process, shortly.
All plans will be automatically upgraded to include unlimited data between the hours of 6am and 6pm. NBN 12 Customers will be upgraded to NBN 25 Speeds at no extra cost.
All broadband plans will be upgraded to include unlimited data until 30 April 2020.
Post Paid Mobile Plans
Until 15 April 2020:
$10 plans will receive 10GB bonus data. $20 plans will receive 20GB bonus data. $30 plans will receive 20GB bonus data. $40 plans will receive unlimited data. All plans will be updated to unlimited talk and text.
Broadband and NBN Customers
All existing customers will automatically receive unlimited data until 31 May 2020.
Pay TV Subscriptions
Existing Foxtel and Foxtel Now subscribers will have access to TV channels and on demand libraries across Drama, Entertainment, Lifestyle, Documentary, and Kids categories until May 31st Sports subscribers will have access to all ten movie channels until June 30th.
At the time of writing this letter, Virgin Mobile, TPG, Dodo, iPrimus and iiNet did not appear to have a COVID-19 arrangement or offering of additional data.